I came to work today in my “Reading Is Sexy” T-shirt, dragon knee-socks, and USA sweatband. I led the office in some stretches and then we laid out the buffalo wings and the guacamole. Why, you ask? Well, because it’s Day 1 of BookExpo America (we like to call her “BEA”)–the Super Bowl for book lovers–and I am pumped.
What is BookExpo America? Glad you asked. It is the largest book publishing fair in the US of A. Publishers set up booths and exhibits, and authors, librarians, and book retailers mix, mingle, and buy. Think County Fair meets Comic-Con (with fewer sword fights).
Is Algonquin there? Is that a serious question? Booth #4259, people. And if you’re lucky enough to be in New York this week, come by and visit! I know that, among other things, the Algonquin booth has some galleys of Jonathan Evison‘s West of Here. There are also a lot of great author events in the next few days:
Tuesday May 25th-
- 4:30-5:30 Editors’ Buzz Panel with Chuck Adams (RM 1E13)
Wednesday May 26th-
- 11:00-12:00 Signing (Pictures of You) with Caroline Leavitt (Algonquin Booth #4259)
- 3:00-4:00 Authors (fiction) of Editors’ Buzz Panel with Jonathan Evison (Downtown Stage)
- 4:15-5:15 Signing (West of Here) with Jonathan Evison (Algonquin Booth #4259)
Thursday May 27th-
- 10:00-11:00 Signing (Peep Show) with Joshua Braff (Algonquin Booth #4259)
- 11:00-11:30 Signing (I Thought You Were Dead) with Pete Nelson (ABA Lounge, RM E107 and E108)
- 11:00-12:00 ALTAFF From Writer to Reader Panel with Joseph Skibell (RM 1E17)
- 2:00-3:00 Signing (A Curable Romantic) with Joseph Skibell (Algonquin Booth #4259)
So stop by and say hello! If you can’t make it out to BEA, you can always throw yourself a private little BEA party. Just make a name tag, go to your local independent bookstore, and say “What’s new and exciting in the world of books!?” I promise you won’t be disappointed.